What is the golden visa?
The Spanish Golden Visa (or «Property Visa») grants automatic residency in Spain when you purchase property for 500,000€ or more. This can be any type of property: home, commercial, land, or a combination of properties. As opposed to the wealth visa, the golden visa does not require you to be in Spain 183 days of the year.
The steps to getting a golden visa:
- You come to Spain with your travel visa and look for a property.
- Once the pre-agreement (contrato de arras) is signed and corresponding funds are deposited, you can apply for the golden visa. If needed, the authorities can grant you a permit for six months so you can complete the process of buying your property.
- If your golden visa application is accepted, you will receive a visa for one year. As opposed to other visas, the golden visa application can be presented while you are in Spain
- After receiving your golden visa, you can keep renewing the visa, as long as you do not sell your property.
Please see our property guide to understand the steps to buying a property.
In 2015, the golden visa experienced an easing in the criteria for its concession and renewal. This has helped overcome the bureaucratic hurdles that characterized the prior procedure. The government has also expanded the beneficiaries to include unmarried couples (parejas de hecho) and children of the buyers who are over 18.
Marbella Mountain Resorts offers a combined golden visa service to perform all the legal work involved in the property purchase («conveyancing») as well as the work to obtain residency in Spain. Please request our golden visa proposal and get started on your path to EU residency.
The golden visa will not automatically get you on track for Spanish citizenship. To receive Spanish citizenship, you need to have lived in Spain 183 days per year for a minimum of 10 years.
WHAT IS THE WEALTH VISA?
Our wealth visa service is for the individual who wants to immigrate to Spain and has sufficient funds to live in Spain without working.
The key to obtaining this type of visa rests on being able to prove that you have sufficient means to live in Spain, in one of two ways:
- Showing that you receive a fixed monthly amount by some permanent means, such as from a trust fund or retirement pension. (A salary is not considered permanent, nor is interest received from a bank or mutual fund.)
- Showing that you have maintained a high enough average balance in your bank account during at least a year. The documents you submit must show the bank account in your name.
- Other documents required for this visa are a police clearance certificate and a medical certificate.
With a wealth visa, you may not be employed by a Spanish company — that is, receive a Spanish payslip — for the first year in Spain.
Family members of the visa holder may obtain a derivative status that allows them to live and attend school in Spain. Visa extensions are generally unlimited as long as you can continue to show sufficient means.
Does the money need to be in a bank in Spain?
No. In showing that you have enough money to live on in Spain, the money may be in a financial institution in any country. What is important is that the account is in your name.
How long does the process take?
From the time the application is delivered to the Embassy to the time you receive the decision, it takes on average one month.
Is there a visa for professional athletes or artists?
Yes, there is a special work permit for the professional athlete or artist in public performances.
WHAT IS THE INVESTOR VISA?
Our investor visa (or investment visa) service is for the individual who plans to have a business in Spain, and has funds available for investment purposes. Once completed, you will be the director of a company with those funds in backing capital. You may immediately start drawing on this capital in the implementation of your business.
The investor visa in Spain is available to those individuals who will invest in a new or already established business. Family members of the visa holder may obtain derivative status that allows them to live, work and attend school in Spain. Visa extensions are generally unlimited as long as the investment continues.
Applicants must have extensive documentation detailing the business plan, the amount of the investment, and calculation of jobs to be created. The visa application should describe how the proposed enterprise will benefit Spain.
Marbella Mountain Resorts handles the procedure of obtaining the investor visa from start to finish. We work with you to develop a plan to get your business up and running. You can form a new company, buy an existing business, or bring an international franchise to Spain.
Marbella Mountain Resorts is an investment platform principally focused on the hospitality and luxury residential industry. We act as a local partner and unique window for private investors, family offices and international Real Estate investment funds in the process of growth that are willing to set up and generate value in the south of Spain.